Good Monday Morning, Washington Nationals Fans.
Thank you for starting the week with us.
Today’s Morning Briefing is brought to you by BreakingT. BreakingT offers high-quality, real-time sports merchandise with original designs. Products include T-shirts, hoodies, mugs, masks, prints, and more. Purchase your favorite Washington Nationals BreakingT shirt. From Howie Kendrick’s Clang to the Soto Shuffle, celebrate the Washington Nationals in style, and don’t forget to #WeartheMoment.
Top Washington Nationals Story is the weekend signing of OF Kyle Schwarber
Just in case you missed the news from over the weekend. Here are the details: the Washington Nationals signed OF Kyle Schwarber to a 1-year deal, pending a physical. Kyle Schwarber was tendered this offseason by the Chicago Cubs. Manager Davey Martinez is familiar with OF Kyle Schwarber due to his time with the Chicago Cubs. Click here to read the full article with salary details.
The more and more we think about the signing, it is an excellent signing for the Washington Nationals. You have a player who is motivated to play well, and he is familiar with the head coach. Read Richard’s thoughts on the signing and weigh in yourself.
Today’s Top MLB Story: Why a painfully slow winter could get even uglier for free agents.
ESPN Senior Writer Buster Olney wrote an interesting piece about the slow winter with not many free-agent signings so far. It will have a considerable impact on the big-name free agents. It is worth the read.
Additionally, Major League Baseball is bracing to reduce rights fees in negotiations with ESPN on a new television contract, according to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (subscription required). Current discussions surround a seven-year deal that would see ESPN pay approximately $550MM per season in exchange for the right to continue to broadcast Sunday Night Baseball, the Home Run Derby, and a to-be-determined number of postseason games. As Rosenthal notes, this will significantly reduce the parties’ last rights contract, which covered eight years at $700MM per season. That’s a disappointing turn for MLB, which had picked up considerable increases in rights fees (relative to previous contracts) from both Turner and FOX in recent years.
International Signing Period: We will publish an in-depth look at the history of the Washington Nationals international signings and how international signings work. Don’t miss this article.
NEW PODCAST Episode: In the ClubHouse with the Nats Report.
Check out Richard’s interview with the brand new MLB Draft League President. Kerrick Jackson.
Latest on The Nats Report
- In the Club House with Kerrick Jackson, MLB Draft League President
- The Morning Briefing: Washington Nationals add Kyle Schwarber
- Where do the Washington Nationals Stand after the recent signing of OF Kyle Schwarber
- The Washington Nationals Sign Kyle Schwarber to a 1-year deal, pending a physical (Updated with Salary projection & Stats
- The Morning Briefing: Baseball Mourns The Loss of Tommy Lasorda
Latest Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines, News and Analysis
- Washington Nationals think Kyle Schwarber will handle left field and bring power to D.C. via Federal Baseball
- Dark-Horse Destinations for MLB’s Biggest Free Agents via Blecher Report
- Are Platoon Splits Almost a Certainty for the #Nats – 1 of 2? via Talk Nats
- Sad ends to MiLB teams dumped by MLB via Baseball Digest
- Baseball Hall of Fame debate: Defensive wizard Andruw Jones trending towards Cooperstown? via USA Today
- Washington Nationals adding Kyle Schwarber is a reminder NL East isn’t just a two-team race via ESPN+
- Why Kyle Schwarber Signing Could Backfire On Washington Nationals via Forbes
Around the NL East
New York Mets
- Mets coach Chili Davis plans to rejoin team in person for 2021 via New York Post
- MLB Free Agency Rumors: Braves have ‘reached out’ to DJ LeMahieu via Talking Chop
- Miami Marlins’ Don Mattingly bemoans lack of action in MLB, advocates for more rule changes via ESPN
- What are the Phillies options at shortstop? via Philly Voice