Good Thursday Morning, Washington Nationals Fans.
Thank you for starting the day with us.
Today’s Morning Briefing is brought to you by BreakingT. BreakingT offers high-quality, real-time sports merchandise with original designs. Products include T-shirts, hoodies, mugs, masks, prints, and more. Purchase your favorite Washington Nationals BreakingT shirt. Howie Kendrick’s Clang to the Soto Shuffle, celebrate the Washington Nationals in style and don’t forget to #WeartheMoment.
Today’s Top Story: International Signings Start Tomorrow: January 15, 2021
Tomorrow, teams from around the league will be able to sign players from the International market. Frank from NationalsSource shares some history of the Washington Nationals and looks forward to who the Nationals will sign in 2021 and beyond. From the article: “According to reports, this year, the Nationals will sign Armando Cruz, a 16-year-old shortstop from the Dominican Republic. According to MLB Pipeline, Cruz is the 5th ranked international prospect and will receive a rumored 4 million dollar signing bonus from the Nationals. Cruz was recently the 4th ranked prospect, but Oscar Colas, also known as “The Cuban Ohtani,” has a few years of professional ball under his belt in Japan, and Cuba was recently added to the pool.” [Read the full article here]
Soto, Bell, Turner await the arbitration deadline. The Nationals have three contracts to address before Friday’sFriday’s 1 p.m. ET arbitration deadline — two centerpieces of the organization and one newcomer. MLB’sMLB’s Washington Nationals beat reporter Jessica Camerato reports: “The team has to reach a deal with outfielder Juan Soto, shortstop Trea Turner and first baseman Josh Bell ahead of Friday’sFriday’s cutoff to avoid arbitration or the sides must swap salary arbitration figures. Washington tendered contracts to Soto and Turner early last month, and it acquired Bell from Pittsburgh on Christmas Eve.” [Read the full article here]
Is Victor Robles on the Trading Block? There was a lot of chatter yesterday across the “NationalsSphere” about Victor Robles’Robles’ future with the Washington Nationals. In an NBC Sports Washington article by Matt Weyrich, “The Nationals held onto Robles for years, despite other clubs reportedly trying to include him in trades for players such as J.T. Realmuto, Kris Bryant, and Andrew McCutchen. They opted to forego cashing in on his peak trade value and leaned on him as a future building block of the franchise. Yet instead, it’s been Juan Soto who has emerged as such a player, making Robles a more expendable asset if the Nationals can find good value for him on the trade market.” ” It will be interesting to see what or if the trade market looks like for Robles and even if the Washington Nationals trade the centerfielder.
MLB halts political spending following the Capitol riot. Yesterday the Associated Press reported that in the wake of last week’s riots on the U.S. Capitol, MLB is “suspending contributions from its Political Action Committee pending a review of our political contribution policy going forward,” the league said in a statement to The Associated Press. MLB postponed political giving to both political parties altogether before last week. [Read the full article here].
Featured Podcast Episode: Do you love collecting Washington Nationals Bobbleheads? Well, meet Mick, an avid Washington Nationals bobblehead collector; he loves collecting bobbleheads so much he has a spreadsheet that lists all the Washington Nationals bobbleheads ever. Take a listen on the podcast platform of your choice.
Don’t forget to rate and review the podcast after you listen. Stay tuned for a new podcast every Monday morning!
Lastest on the Nats Report
- Sports Betting Comes to Nationals Park
- Naming Rights for the Astros and Nationals Spring Training Facility Change?
- Perspective: A full 162 Game Season is good for everyone
- Perspective: Juan Soto Should Be A Washington Nationals For Life
Last Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines
- Where do the #Nats go from here? via Talk Nats
- Stark: The DH idea everyone has been waiting for … or have they? via The Athletic [Subcription Required]
- Washington Nationals believe Victor Robles needs to create his own identity… via Federal Baseball
- MLB Rumors: How Corey Kluber fared in workout for Red Sox, other MLB teams via Yahoo Sports
- What if every MLB player was a free agent every year? How extreme 45-year-old idea would create baseball chaos via CBS Sports
- As MLB arbitration deadline nears, Nats contend with increasingly odd process via the Washington Post
- Washington Nationals new offense pushes the timeline for these two hitters via Call to the Pen
- One year after the scandal, how do we view the Astros — and what’s next for MLB? via ESPN
Around the NL East
New York Mets
- 3 Trade Proposals for Willson Contreras via Fish Stripes
- 3 rookies (besides Ian Anderson) who could impact 2021 Braves via Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- New Phillie’s boss had a pre-Christmas visit with J.T. Realmuto via NBC Sports Philadelphia