Good Tuesday Morning, Washington Nationals Fans. Thank you for starting the day with us.
Today’s Morning Briefing is brought to you by The Nats Report. Please take a minute to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for the latest news and headlines about the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball.
Today’s top story: Left Hander veteran pitcher Jon Lester is Signing with the Washington Nationals.
The Washington Nationals are in agreement with two-time world series left-handed pitcher Jon Lester. According to reports, the deal is a one year contract. The details of the contract are still yet to come out. However, the Nationals are getting a five-time All-Star and a two-time World Series Champion with two different teams. [Click here to read our article on the signing]
As of now, here is the projected starting rotation for the Washington Nationals 2021 season:
- Max Scherzer
- Stephen Strasburg
- Patrick Corbin
- Jon Lester
- Austin Voth/Joe Ross/Erick Fedde
Sweet Home Chicago … At the end of last year, we wrote an article wondering if the Washington Nationals can take advantage of what now seems like a fire sale happening at the North Side of Chicago. From the signing of Kyle Schwarber and now Jon Lester, it looks like the Nationals are capitalizing on what is going on in Chicago. We wonder who could be next to join the Nationals from Chicago.
Bombshell in Flushing, NY ESPN’s Mina Kimes, and Jeff Passan published a bombshell last night on ESPN.com about recently hired New York Mets general manager Jared Porter who sent explicit, unsolicited photos to a female reporter in 2016. From the article: “The woman, a foreign correspondent who had moved to the United States to cover Major League Baseball, said at one point she ignored more than 60 messages from Porter before he sent the final lewd photo. The text relationship started casually before Porter, then the Chicago Cubs director of professional scouting, began complimenting her appearance, inviting her to meet him in various cities and asking why she was ignoring him. And the texts show she had stopped responding to Porter after he sent a photo of pants featuring a bulge in the groin area.” [Here is the full article]
Later today, Richard will share his thoughts on this. However, Steve Cohen will have no choice but to fire Porter. This incident will ruin the very productive off-season that the New York Mets had. After reading the article, we feel horrible for the women who had to go through this ordeal. Overall this is unacceptable behavior.
🚨 Podcast Alert
Today, we published an emergency podcast focusing on the Jon Lester signing. Richard sat down with Chris Russell from 106.7 the fan and Team 980 to discuss the signing and other hot Washington Nationals topics.
🎧: Apple: http://apple.co/3qtDwrG
📲: Spotify: http://spoti.fi/39KYonJ
Last item about Lester for now, Sports Columnist Barry Svrluga from the Washington Post wrote another must-read article about how the signing affects the 2021 Washington Nationals identity. If you only read one additional article, this is the one to read. From the article: “We can equivocate all we want about the Washington Nationals’ lineup and whether the additions of Josh Bell and Kyle Schwarber — both hoping for rebound years — are enough to protect Trea Turner and Juan Soto. But here’s the thing: The Nationals under the construction of Mike Rizzo are and always will be built on starting pitching. So the addition of Jon Lester says more about the philosophy of the club than any offensive addition can or will.” [Read the full article here]
Latest on the Nats Report
- Feinsand: Nationals Have Interest in Jeremy Jeffress
- Move over wearables, the first Smart Baseball is coming!
- Special Report: The Homestead Grays and It’s Impact on Washington D.C.
- Sports Betting Comes to Nationals Park
Latest Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines
- Washington Nationals 2021: When the games begin again… via Federal Baseball
- The #Nats 4th Starter Options via Talk Nats
- Report: Nationals, Jon Lester agree to one-year deal via NBC Sports Washington
- A modest proposal for a better postseason format via MASN Sports Washington
- MLB spring training is set to start in a month; here’s what we know — and don’t know — about 2021 season via CBS Sports
- MLB needs more Black managers. Here’s why it won’t be me right now via ESPN
- 8 Blockbuster Trade Ideas to Shift MLB’s Balance of Power in 2021 via Blecher Report
Around the NL East
New York Mets
- Mets must fire Jared Porter amid sexting scandal: Sherman via New York Post
- Exploring Trade Options: Adam Ottavino via Fish Stripes
- Braves potential free agent target: Brett Gardner via Talking Chop
Subscribe to GameNotes
Be ready for every Washingtion Nationals Baseball game this season by subscribing to GameNotes. GameNotes get delivered evey afternoon before a Washington Nationals baseball game. Within GameNotes you will find the latest lineup, pitching matchup, injury report and analysis from the Nats Report all for FREE so make sure you subscribe today!