Good Thursday Morning, Washington Nationals Fans.
With the start of the 2021 season right around the corner, make sure to Subscribe to the Nats Report’s GameNotes so that you are ready for every Washington Nationals game! GameNotes features lineups, pitching matchups, injury reports, and analysis delivered right to your inbox for FREE.
Countdown Clock 🕰️
Days to Pitchers and Catchers Report: 6 Days
Exhibition Games Begin: 18 Days
Opening Day: 49 Days
Today’s morning briefing is written by Richard and edited by Jonathan.
Make sure to follow The Nats Report on Twitter for updates on the latest Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball during the day!
Top Story: Does Justin Turner Make Sense for the Washington Nationals? We think so
As of right now, the Washington Nationals are about $16 million under the Competitive Balance Tax threshold, and it looks like the team we have today will likely be the roster going into Opening Day. With that being said, there is still one big beard out there that would be the finishing touch on a great offseason.
Most experts are grading Mike Rizzo’s job this offseason as a solid B+, but there is no doubt that adding Justin Turner would really make this an A+ offseason.
Washington Nationals Beat News: New Washington Nationals Beat Reporter
The Athletic has hired a new beat reporter for the Washington Nationals. Taking over for Britt Ghiroli is Maria Torres, who was previously the Los Angeles Angels beat reporter for the Los Angeles Times. Maria Torres comes to the Nationals beat after two-plus seasons covering the Angels and two seasons on the Royals’ beat. She is a graduate of the University of Georgia and is from Puerto Rico.
Washington Nationals Release 2021 Spring Training Schedule and Health Information
With Spring Training only days away, here is some information regarding Spring Training, including health protocols and schedule. We are super excited for baseball to start!
Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy Season Three of YBA PLAY TV: Spring Training.
The video series is a free instructional baseball clinic that will continue to have a virtual option with episodes airing every Wednesday, right here on their Facebook page.
Black History Month on the Nats Report
February is Black History month, and at the Nats Report, we have published an in-depth report on the Homestead Grays and their impact on Washington D.C. It is worth a read. Additionally, you should listen to Richard’s interview with Bob Kendrick, President of the National Negro League Baseball Hall of Fame in Kansas City.
League News: Major League Baseball Updates its Sexual Harassment policy
In the wake of the Jared Porter and Mickey Callaway sexual harassment stories, Major League Baseball has updated its sexual and discrimination policy. The main points of the new policy are for “MLB and it’s Clubs strive to create environments in which all individuals, including MLB and Club personnel, employees of MLB’s business partners and members of the press are accepted and respected.” Additionally, Major League Baseball created a third-party anonymous hotline for reporting incidents of harassment. According to Lindsey Alder of the Athletic: “The league recently proposed the changes to the MLBPA, which agreed to the modifications.” Major League Baseball also created a guide for employees on their new policy and how to report a complaint that must hang outside the clubhouse. Click here to read the full policy.
Commissioner Rob Mandred stated in the updated document: “Major League Baseball aspires towards a collective culture of acceptance and mutual respect for the individual differences of the people that make the game of Baseball truly unique and exceptional.”
The Latest on the Nats Report
- Leauge News: Biden administration wants MLB to push back season a month
- Daniel Murphy, Former New York Mets and Washington Nationals retiring from Baseball
- Question: What’s the Deal with all these one-year contracts this off-season?
- The Return of “Baby Shark” Gerardo Parra to the Washington Nationals
Latest Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines
- Washington Nationals ranked 30th on Keith Law’s 2021 farm system rankings via Federal Baseball
- 2021 Washington Nationals: Why Signing Justin Turner Makes Sense via Overtime Heroics
- Nationals: Making a public plea for Big Donkey Day in DC via District on Deck
- The Nationals, like the rest of us, want to forget about 2020. That might be pretty smart. via Washington Post
- Four MLB players who could request a trade, including Mike Trout and a forgotten Yankees player via CBS Sports
- Mets acquiring Khalil Lee in Royals-Red Sox Andrew Benintendi trade via NY Post
- MLB is messing with the baseball again — this time to bring homers down via Minneapolis Star Tribune