Good Saturday Morning, Washington Nationals Fans. Thank you for starting the weekend with us.
Today’s weather in West Palm Beach, according to the National Weather Service:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Breezy, with a north wind 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. A perfect day for throwing the ball around with your closest friends.
Today’s Spring Training Quote:
“I really like the fact that we have four guys that have done it at the highest level and have the hardware to show for it” -Mike Rizzo discussing the addition of Jon Lester to the pitching rotation.
Make sure to follow The Nats Report on Twitter for updates on the latest Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball during the day!
Exhibition Games Begin: 10 Days
Opening Day 2021: 41 Days
2021 MLB All-Star Game: 144 Days
Today’s Morning Briefing was written by Richard.
Today’s Top Story: The Case For Victor Robles Leading Off
Washington’s Lineup is in a weird spot right now. They have a good amount of high-level talent, but it’s not as deep as many would like, so Victor Robles might be a good option to lead off. Based on Mike Rizzo’s recent comments, it appears that the Nationals are done adding players and they haven’t been outwardly linked to anyone who hits leadoff.
Thankfully, they may have the perfect leadoff candidate on the roster in Victor Robles.
The Latest Notes from Spring Training
Don’t forget to bookmark and get breaking news alerts directly from Spring Training as they happen! We have a full blog post dedicated to all the news coming out of this year’s Spring Training. Don’t miss a headline.
Here is the latest:
Yesterday afternoon, various pitchers were made available to reporters via Zoom from West Palm Beach. Here are a couple of tidbits from the calls.
Max Scherzer and Patrick Corbin spoke highly of pitching to new Washington Nationals catcher Alexander Avila. The 33-year-old Avila has played in Major League Baseball for five different organizations, including the Detroit Tigers, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Minnesota Twins. Avila previously caught Scherzer with the Tigers from 2010-15 and caught Corbin with the Diamondbacks during the 2018 season.
MLB, MLBPA Announce COVID-19 Test Results
Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced COVID-19 test results. According to the press release, this was the first set of COVID-19 testing results conducted as part of the mandatory Intake Screening process under MLB’s COVID-19 Health Monitoring & Testing Plan, prior to the upcoming start of full-squad workouts.”
NL East 2021 Season Preview: The Atlanta Braves
Since moving to the National League East in 1994, the Atlanta Braves and Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals has been one of the best rivalries in baseball, and 2021 looks to be more of the same. Some teams were thrown off by the chaos of the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, but the Atlanta Braves didn’t miss a beat, winning their third straight division title and their 15th NL East Crown in the last 25 seasons.
Despite their regular-season dominance, Atlanta failed to reach the World Series again, losing to the eventual champion Los Angeles Dodgers in game 7 of the NLCS.
Read our previews of the other NL East Teams:
Podcast Alert: In the Clubhouse with the Nats Report
Want to know the latest from Spring Training? Well, tune in this week for some jam-packed episodes of In the Clubhouse with the Nats Report as Richard sits down with Washington Nationals beat reporters in West Palm Beach to get the latest information.
This week, Richard will be sitting down with:
- Jesse Dougherty, Washington Nationals Beat Reporter for the Washington Post;
- Matt Weyrich, Reporter for NBC Sports Washington; and
- Maria Torres, Washington Nationals Beat Reporter for The Athletic.
Click here to find In the Clubhouse with the Nats Report on your favorite podcasting platform. After listening, don’t forget to subscribe and share the podcast with fellow Washington Nationals fans!
The Latest on the Nats Report
- The Last Washington Nationals Bench Spot: Yadiel Hernandez?
- 5 Washington Nationals StoryLines to pay attention to as we get ready for Spring Training
- What Does a Trea Turner Extension Look Like?
- How the Tatis Deal Impacts the Nationals & More Importantly Juan Soto
- How Hurt Was Carter Kieboom During the 2020 Season?
- What should the Nationals Do with the 5th Pitching Spot in the Rotation?
Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines
- Who grabs the last spot(s) on the Opening Day roster for the pitchers? via Talk Nats
- Scherzer: ‘Who knows’ how the new baseballs will play in 2021 via NBC Sports Washington
- Players, staff grateful for return to full-length spring training via MASN Sports Washington
- Washington Nationals’ Patrick Corbin ready to put frustrating 2020 campaign behind him via Federal Baseball
- Nationals: Max Scherzer’s current contract was a steal, in comparison via District on Deck
- Turner on SD: ‘Gonna get 19 WS games‘ via MLB
- TATIS JR.’S $340 MILLION WILL BE SHARED WITH FUND THAT OWNS A CUT OF HIS MLB EARNINGS via Sportico