Matchup: St. Paul Saints (13-7) vs. Rochester Red Wings (6-14)
Pitching Matchup: RHP Aaron Sanchez (0-1, 3.12) vs. RHP Joan Adon (1-1, 3.92)
Game Info: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, | 6:05 p.m. ET
Location: Innovative Field – Rochester, NY
Rochester Red Wings StoryLine:
The Rochester Red Wings return home to begin a six-game set against the St. Paul Saints, after dropping the series finale in Norfolk on Sunday by a score of 17-7
What you need to know
- DH Jake Alu’s two-run homer Sunday in Norfolk marked the third-straight game that Wings batters have hit a home run (4/21-4/23). Through 20 games, the Wings have now gone on a three-game homer streak three separate times, including a home run in four straight from 4/12-15. Last season, the Rochester Red Wings’ longest team home run streak was six games, from 6/5-11 which came against Buffalo (6/5), and St. Paul (6/6-11).
- The Red Wings are now 0-8 when their opponents start a left-handed pitcher…in ’22, Rochester posted a 19-28 record when their foe started a southpaw…
- The Red Wings have hit .279 (57-for-204) against lefties this year, recording five of their 16 homers off LHP. In ’22, the Wings hit .261 (355-for-1358), with 39 of their 133 homers against left-handers.
- Despite posting the worst run differential (-43) in Triple-A to start the year, Rochester posts the ninth-best batting average (.257, 166-for-646) in the International League, ranking 16th among the 30 Triple-A teams.
- The International League begins its roll-out of the Automatic Ball Strike system today. Games played Monday through Thursday will be Full ABS games, where every pitch is called using the ABS system. Games played Friday through Sunday will feature ABS-Challenge games, where the umpire will call balls and strikes, and each team will have three challenges that can be used throughout the game. The automatic strike zone is defined as the bottom being 27% of the players’ height and the top of the zone being 51% of the players’ height regardless of a batting stance.