Matchup: St. Paul Saints (14-7) vs. Rochester Red Wings (6-15)
Pitching Matchup: RHP Jose De Leon (0-0, 3.14) vs. RHP Jake Irvin (1-2, 6.35)
Game Info: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, | 6:05 p.m. ET
Location: Innovative Field – Rochester, NY
Rochester Red Wings StoryLine:
The Rochester Red Wings dropped their first game of the series against St. Paul, 14-1 on Tuesday night. Offensive production was limited to a CF Derek Hill home run which got the Red Wings on the board in the eighth inning.
Related Article: Rochester Red Wings Report: Four Things To Keep An Eye On
RHP Jake Irvin gets the nod for the Red Wings tonight who looks to become the first Rochester arm to collect two wins.
What you need to know
- After ranking toward the bottom of nearly every offensive category through the first nine games of the season, a stretch in which they went 1-8, the Wings’ bats have ignited, collecting 118 hits over the past 12 games, ranking first in the International League over that span (4/12).
- The Red Wings ranked last in the International League in hits with 52 over the first nine games (avg. 5.8 per game), posting a .190 (52-for-274) batting average and over the last 12 games, they’ve hit .294 (118-for-402).
- LF Travis Blankenhorn went 1-for-2 with a double in Tuesday’s contest, collecting one of the four Rochester hits…with the double, Blankenhorn pushes his on-base streak to 10 games, the longest active streak on the team.
- CF Derek Hill smashed a homer in the bottom of the eighth of Tuesday night’s loss to put the Wings on the board, going 1-for-4 at the plate, now logging an extra-base hit in three consecutive games.
- Of Rochester’s four hits in the loss, three went for extra bases and marked the Wings’ fourth consecutive game with a home run, matching their longest streak of the season (4/11-14).
- Rochester has the second-fewest extra-base hits (50) this season among International League teams.
- Through 21 games in 2022, the Red Wings pitching staff combined had struck out 170 batters, the fourth fewest in the International League. Rochester would go on to strike out a franchise-record 1,341 batters, good enough to rank seventh in the International League by year’s end.
- Wings pitching combined to strike out a season-high 11 batters in Tuesday night’s contest, including four from starting pitcher RHP Joan Adon and three from RHP Odalvi Javier. The Rochester pitching staff comes into Wednesday night’s game with the fourth-fewest strikeouts in the International League (165).