Philadelphia – Tonight, the Washington Nationals will kick off a seven-game road trip with a four-game weekend series kicking off in Philadelphia against the rival Philadelphia Phillies.
Part of that seven-game road trip includes a stop in Chicago to face the Chicago Cubs. The Nationals will then return home to face the visiting San Diego Padres for a weekend series, starting on Friday, August 12, 2022.
Washington dropped the rubber match to the Mets yesterday, 9–5, despite a five-run ninth inning. Keibert Ruiz and Lane Thomas both homered in the game’s final inning.
Ildemaro Vargas went 4-for-4 in his Nationals debut; yesterday’s game was his third career game tallying at least four hits.
Vargas is also the first Nationals player (2005-Pres.) to collect four hits in his debut with the team. Since 2000, 22 players have collected four hits in their debut with a team.
- RHP Paolo Espino will make his third start against Philadelphia this season. So far, in two previous starts against the Phillies, he is 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA (6 ER/8.2 IP) on nine hits and five walks with eight strikeouts. So far this season, Espino is 0-3 with a 3.78 ERA.
- Today will mark Luke Voit‘s debut with the Washington Nationals. He was traded to the Nationals earlier this week at this year’s trade deadline. Voit will be playing at first base and batting third in the order.
- SS Luis García has hit safely in seven of his last eight games, going 12-for-32 (.375) with two doubles, a triple, two homers, 10 RBI, and two runs scored.
- First baseman Joey Meneses made his Major League debut on Tuesday after playing in the minors for ten years. In his first game, he homered for his first career hit. Meneses became the sixth player in Major League Baseball to homer in his Major League debut this season. According to ESPN Stats and Information, Meneses became the first Mexican-born player to hit his home run in his Major League debut.
Washington Nationals (36-70) at Philadelphia Phillies (56-48)
- RHP Paolo Espino (0-3, 3.78) | RHP Noah Syndergaard (5-8, 3.83)
- Thursday, August 4, 2022 l 7:05 p.m. ET l Game #107 / Road #50
- Citizens Bank Park | Philadelphia, PA
- TV: MASN | Radio: 106.7 The Fan / Nationals Radio Network