Good Morning, Washington Nationals Fans. Here are the latest headlines and analyses around the Washington Nationals for Wednesday, August 18, 2021.
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021: Toronto Blue Jays v. Washington Nationals; 4:05 pm EDT
- Friday, August 20, 2021: Washington Nationals v. Milwaukee Brewers; 8:10 pm EDT
- Saturday, August 21, 2021: Washington Nationals v. Milwaukee Brewers; 4:05 pm EDT
- Sunday, August 22, 2021: Washington Nationals v. Milwaukee Brewers; 2:10 pm EDT
Today’s Top Story: Washington Nationals Snap Seven Game Losing Streak
Put a Curly W in the books! Last night, with a paid attendance of 20k + the Nationals, won over the Toronto Blue Jays 12-6. Last night, former Blue Jay’s catcher Riley Adams went 3-for-4 and was a triple shy of hitting for a cycle against his old team. When Adams was with the Blue Jays, he had a total of three hits in his 12 appearances with the team; just last night, Adams had three hits against his first game against this old team.
In addition to Adams hitting a home run, Yadial Hernandez hit his fifth home run this season in the second inning off pitcher Alek Manoah with one out.
Fedde went five innings and gave up three runs on five hits. He struck out four and raised his ERA to 5.14.
The Nationals are now in fourth place with a record of 51-68 and are 12.5 games back of the first-place Atlanta Braves in the NL East.
Nationals’ Joe Ross avoids Tommy John surgery but is unlikely to return until 2022
In addition to the Nationals snapping a seven-game losing streak, the Nationals got some good news: Joe Ross will avoid Tommy John surgery. However, in true 2021 Nationals fashion, there is some bad news to go along with it: Joe Ross is unlikely to return this season.
NBC Sports Washington’s Matt Weyrich has the details: “Ross will begin with extended rest before rehabbing the injury. ‘Joe went and saw Dr. [Keith] Meister and as of right now he’s not gonna need surgery,’ Martinez told reporters before Tuesday’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Nationals Park. ‘He said it’s basically a sprain so he’s gonna have some significant amount of time [missed] when he comes back but I deem that good news. We’ll see him when he gets back.’ Ross flew to Texas and met with Dr. Meister, who concluded that the torn ligament could be repaired without undergoing Tommy John. The right-hander had the first surgery in July 2017 and didn’t return to the majors until September the following year. He bounced back and forth between the bullpen and rotation in 2019 before sitting out in 2020 because of the pandemic.”
N-A-T-S, NATS, NATS, NATS, WOO Baseball T-shirt
If you have ever been to Nats Park, you’ve heard this cheer every time the Nationals score a RUN!
Now you can get your every own N-A-T-S, NATS, NATS, NATS WOO!!! T-shirt from us at The Nats Report and join in the fun! Use the code: “email” to get 5% off your purchase until August 20, 2021, and most importantly, don’t forget to tell your fellow Nationals friends!
MLB News Reports: Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds to meet in 2022 Field of Dream Game
Since the 2021 Major League Field of Dreams Game was so popular and successful, it seems that Major League Baseball has decided to hold another game in 2022. According to the Des Moines Register, Major League Baseball is returning to its specially constructed diamond in Dyersville in 2022. This time, it’s bringing another team from Chicago and the other team from the infamous 1919 World Series.
Perspective: 5 Things that Should be on the Nationals To-Do List this Offseason
With the Nationals in last place in the NL East, it’s never too early to start to think about what is on the to-do list of the Nationals. Here are 5 tasks that should be top priorities.
The 2021 season can be categorized as a huge disaster; I think that other adjectives can be used, but since this is a family-friendly site, let’s use “disaster” as the adjective that I will use. But it’s time to start looking forward instead of looking backward. If I was the GM for the Washington Nationals, here are the five tasks that would be on my to-do list for the offseason.
Nationals and Major League Baseball Headlines from around the Internet
- Riley Adams has ownage on the Blue Jays via TalkNats
- Nats promote OF Donovan Casey from Scherzer/Turner deal to AAA via NBC Sports Washington
- Is the Toronto Blue Jays’ bullpen that bad, or are the Washington Nationals learning to play clutch baseball? via Federal Baseball
- Washington Nationals: Rebuild Report Cards via District on Deck
- Pitch clocks, realignment and the end of blackouts: What MLB would look like if we were designing it now via ESPN
- Forensic nurse who examined Trevor Bauer’s accuser after alleged sexual assault: ‘I had never seen that before’ via Yahoo Sports!
- MVP poll: Who are the favorites? via MLB.com
- MLB missed the message of ‘Field of Dreams’ via Deseret News