Details are coming out on what the Health and Safety protocols are going to be for the 2021 season. The annoucement comes only a couple of weeks away from the start of Spring Training and just days away from when Pitchers and Catchers are planning on reporting.
On field playing rules include:
- Doubleheaders will consist of two seven-inngings games;
- The motified extra-innigngs rule that was implemented during the 2020 season where each extra innging will begin with a runner on second base will also be in effect for the upcoming 2021 season;
- There will be a prohibition against unsportsmanlike contact and unnecessary physical contact and support physical distancing between individuals on the diamond;
- Players or managers who leave their positions to argue with umpires, come within six feet of an umpire or opposing player or manager for arguments, or engage in altercations on the field are subject to immediate ejection and discipline, including fines and suspensions.
Roster Rules Include:
- Rosters will be limited to 26 players and then expanding to 28 players in September, but the limit on active pitchers on the roster at any given time has been waived;
- A team is permitted to carry up to five additional “Taxi Squad” players on all road trips. If a team elects to carry five additional players, at least one player who designated position before the season is the catcher;
- Players who are on the “Taxi Squad” are allowed to work out with the teams but are not permitted to be in uniform and in the dugout during the games;
- Once a road trip has been concluded, then the players on the “Taxi Squad” are required to return to the Alternate Training Site;
- and if a team experiences an outbreak of COVID-19 among their players to be added to the Major League Active List temporarily, without the need for those players to be placed on waivers, outrighted or optioned in order to be removed from the 40-man rosters when players return from the COVID-19 related injured list.
Welcome to Baseball COVID style.
Latest on The Nats Report
- The Morning Briefing: Erick Fedde will kick off Spring Training Season
- Live Updates and Chat for Washington Nationals Spring Training Game #1
- MLB and MLBPA Announce Weekly COVID-19 Testing Results
- “In the Clubhouse with the Nats Report” with Todd Radom, Graphic Designer
- The Morning Briefing: Baseball will be played this WEEKEND! ⚾⚾