Well, Opening Day is just about 24 hours away, and after months and months of no baseball, it’s going to be time to say those fantastic words that we all love to hear: Let’s Play Ball.
Today, the Washington Nationals issued a press release that details everything that is going to happen around tomorrow night:
Some interesting highlights:
- As reported, the Ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Receiving the ceremonial first pitch will be Nationals pitcher Sean Doolittle.
- To express support for the D.C. community, the center field will feature a black heart with “D.C.” in the middle, throughout the Opening Weekend series.
- Before the Opening Day game against the Yankees, the Nationals will raise a new 2019 World Series Champions flag at Centerfield Plaza and joining the 1924 World Champions flag and 1925 and 1933 American League pennant. The Nationals will raise thee 2019 World Series pennant that will fly above the Nationals Park scoreboard.
The full Nationals press release is below
WASHINGTON NATIONALS TO FACE NEW YORK YANKEES ON OPENING DAY
The Washington Nationals will celebrate Opening Day and their first home game of the 2020 season on Thursday, July 23. The game will be aired nationally on ESPN, with first pitch scheduled for 7:08 p.m. ET.
In addition to the Opening Day game airing on ESPN, the game against the Yankees on July 25 will be broadcast exclusively on FOX. The Yankees game on July 26 will be broadcast nationally on TBS, as well as on MASN.
The opening of the 2020 season marks the first time in Nationals history that the team will open the season against an American League opponent. Additionally, the matchup against the Yankees at Nationals Park will mark the first time Opening Day has been held at home in consecutive seasons since 2010 vs. Philadelphia and 2011 vs. Atlanta.
The Opening Day pregame ceremony will include:
- Ceremonial first pitch thrown by Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Receiving the ceremonial first pitch will be Nationals pitcher Sean Doolittle.
- National Anthem pre-recorded performance by D.C. Washington.
- Play Ball! announced by D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser.
- God Bless America pre-recorded performance by Sergeant Major Bob McDonald, United States Army Chorus.
The Opening Day in-game elements will include:
- The GEICO Presidents Race will be shown during the fourth inning and will feature a previously recorded race.
SPECIAL OPENING DAY ELEMENTS
- The Nationals, in conjunction with Major League Baseball, stand with the Black Lives Matter movement and will utilize the platform and national stage of Opening Day to express support for the fight against systemic racism and injustice. As one element of this effort, a Black Lives Matter | MLB stencil will appear on the pitcher’s mound during Opening Weekend games.
- To express support for the D.C. community, center field will feature a black heart with “D.C.” in the middle, throughout the Opening Weekend series.
- Additional elements will honor, remember, and celebrate the frontline heroes of COVID-19.
WORLD SERIES SIGNAGE
World Series Ballpark Signage
- The Nationals unveiled a large 2019 World Series Champions sign, located on the field-facing side of the Budweiser Brew House in center field.
- The aluminum sign is 14’9.5” tall and 11’5.5” wide.
- Before the Opening Day game against the Yankees, the Nationals will raise a new 2019 World Series Champions flag at Centerfield Plaza
- Joining the 1924 World Champions flag and 1925 and 1933 American League pennants, the Nationals will hoist a 2019 World Series pennant that will fly above the Nationals Park scoreboard.
OPENING DAY FAN EXPERIENCE
- Virtual Watch Parties: Throughout the season, the Nationals will engage season plan holders, the community, and philanthropic partners through virtual watch parties. Select watch parties will be featured on our scoreboard so our players can experience the fans’ energy and enthusiasm.
- Content Theme Games: The Nationals will bring back some fan-favorite game night themes through content sharing like “Pups at Home,” “Virtual Night OUT,” “Healthcare Appreciation,” and “Caturday” while encouraging fans to engage with the organization on social media. Additionally, the Nationals will have theme nights dedicated to the Youth Baseball Leagues, Nationals Philanthropies, and Branch Days for every military branch.
Best Ballpark Bites – Delivered
- The Nationals want to bring the ballpark experience to you in the comfort and safety of your home! Introducing Best Ballpark Bites Delivered, featuring classic gameday meals exclusively through the Nationals!
- The Washington Nationals and Levy are offering curated packages that include classic gameday meals, such as Nats Dogs, Enzo’s Pizza, Cracker Jack and more.
- All packs serve 2-3 people and all deliveries are contactless with each purchase.
- Orders with alcohol will be required to present ID upon delivery.
- To place your order or to learn more visit nationals.tryhungry.com, call 1-888-8HUNGRY or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orders can be placed up to midnight the day before the game for night games.
In-Stadium Tarps – 15 corporate partners will be featured on tarps in the stands at Nationals Park throughout the 2020 season.
- Popeyes and the Washington Nationals have partnered on a unique activation to take place throughout the regular season.
- The Popeyes branding will be prominently displayed across a seat tarp in center field, Section 240.
- For every home run a Nationals player hits that lands on the tarp, Popeyes will promote a Buy One, Get One Free offer of their famous Chicken Sandwich the following day at local participating restaurants.
- Redemption will take place at stores or drive-thru, with instructions emailed to Nationals fans via the Nationals Insider email list.
Tropical Smoothie Cafe
- National fast-casual cafe concept Tropical Smoothie Cafe is now the Official Smoothie of the Washington Nationals.
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe and the Nationals have partnered to create the Nats Berry Crush Smoothie, a blend of strawberries and cranberries, currently available at participating locations in the D.C. area.
- As a proud sponsor since 2008, GEICO Insurance related designs will appear by the first and third base lines.
Budweiser Nats to Go Pack Program
- At select neighborhood bars and restaurants, fans can order a six-pack of beer and get a Nats to Go Pack, including a Nationals-branded pint glass, and a bag of ballpark peanuts.
- Participating restaurants include: The Blaguard, Willie’s Brew & Que, Union Pub, Urban Roast, Proper 21, Penn Quarter Sports Tavern, The Exchange Saloon, The Haymaker Bar, Declaration Restaurant, Capitol Lounge, Clydes of Gallery Place, Exiles Bar, Nellie’s Sports Bar, Walter’s Sports Bar, and Peacock Café.
- Fans can place orders by directly contacting the restaurants and can find contact information on the Nationals “Open for Business” website.
Devils Backbone Curly W IPA
- Devils Backbone Brewing Company created the Curly W India Pale Ale, a new beer celebrating the World Series champions that is available at retail locations throughout the D.C. area.
- Nationals fans can find retail locations offering Curly W IPA using the Devils Backbone’s online beer finder.
- Curly W is a 6% ABV, 28 IBU crisp and juicy golden IPA that includes Pilsner, Pale Wheat, CaraHell, Golden Naked Oats, Acidulated, Carafa Special 2, and Victory malts – in honor of the 2019 World Series title. The pale malts are balanced out by citrusy hops, ensuring that fans stay refreshed as the Nationals chase another championship.
D.C. Air National Guard F-16 Jet
- In honor of the World Series champion Washington Nationals, the D.C. Air National Guard sent one of its F-16D Fighting Falcons to the Sioux City Air National Guard Base to be painted with the Nationals official Curly W logo and World Series graphic.