Tomorrow night the Baseball world will be focused on the “Field of Dreams” movie site as the Chicago Cubs face the Cincinnati Reds. However, according to the Des Moines Register, Major League Baseball will not be returning to the site in 2023.
In an interview with the Des Moines Register, owner of the “Field of Dreams” movie site Frank Thomas says, “It’s a lot going on,” Thomas told the Des Moines Register on Wednesday in Dyersville. “They don’t want to come back if the stadium’s not prepared.” Future MLB games at the site could be a key to its profitability in the long term. A study funded by Travel Dubuque projected the site would draw 136,000 visitors a year, create 81 jobs, host 62 events, and generate $9.1 million in investment in the first year after the stadium is built.
Nearly 6 million viewers tuned in last year to make it the most watched regular-season baseball game in the previous 16 years at the time.
Last year’s game was also named SportsBusiness Journal’s Event of the Year. Frank Thomas, a Hall of Famer slugger who spent most of his big-league career with the White Sox, announced last September that he and his partners purchased a controlling interest in Go the Distance. This company owns and operates the site.